- Oversee the retail sales of personal use motor vehicles
- License motor vehicle dealerships and salespeople
- Provide required certification courses for the vehicle sales industry
- Offer consumer information and assistance
- Investigate consumer complaints and provide dispute resolution
The Motor Vehicle Sales Industry of British Columbia
6,600 licensed salespeople working at 1,400 licensed dealerships selling new and used:
- Automobiles and light trucks
- Motorcycles and mopeds for on-road use
- Recreational vehicles and trailers for recreational purposes
Annual volume: Approximately 500,000 transactions and $10 billion in sales each year
The VSA is an independent regulatory agency administering the provincial Motor Dealer Act and parts of the Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act.
The VSA is a public body under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) and is required to proactively disclose information and records of importance to the public. The VSA discloses records and policies in order to meet the ideal of open and transparent government operations.