The Motor Vehicle Sales Authority of British Columbia

Thursday, 02 Jul 2015




Dealer Resources

Motor Dealers in British Columbia

Any person, partnership or company selling or leasing motor vehicles to retail consumers in British Columbia must be licensed as a motor dealer. Minimum dealership requirements, resource materials, and application forms are available by contacting the VSA at:


Suite 208 - 5455 152 Street

Surrey, BC, V3S 5A5

email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Tel: (604) 575-7253 (Dealer licensing)

Toll free: 1-866-400-3529

Fax: (604) 574-5883

Motor Vehicle Sales Authority General Guidelines 

Advertising Guidelines 

Motor Dealer Licence Fees

Licence fees for motor dealers are based on the type of vehicles sold and the number of demonstration licence plates (or D-plates.)  Application fees and annual contributions to the Motor Dealer Customer Compensation Fund also apply.  Dealer licence fee schedule

Motor Vehicle Salespeople

Every person working in retail vehicle sales in B.C. is required to be licensed.  Motor dealers must ensure that all sales and management staff in contact with retail consumers hold a valid salesperson licence. Applicants must meet minimum requirements, including successfully completing the VSA certification course and ongoing continuing education requirements. The licensing process verifies that applicants meet minimum requirements and have successfully completed a VSA certification course. The positions required to be licensed include:


      • New and used vehicle salespeople
      • Business office
      • Lease and finance office
      • Internet sales
      • Sales managers
      • Sub-contractors involved in retail sales or financing
      • All other positions, including managers and dealer principals, who are involved in any retail vehicle sales activities

Unlicensed Dealers or “Curbers”

If you believe you have information about a person operating as an unlicensed motor dealer or curber, you can report them using the report an unlicensed motor dealer "curber" Form.  You may make the report anonymously.

Compliance Activities and Customer Compensation Decisions

The VSA administers and enforces the Motor Dealer Act and portions of the Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act through province-wide inspections and investigations. This includes the administration of the Motor Dealer Customer Compensation Fund.