Consumer Protection

Other Places to Go for Help

Other places to go for help


If you’re looking for translation services:

Society of Translators and Interpreters of British Columbia

Mosaic BC

The Yellow Pages - under ‘Translators and Interpreters'

If you’re looking for legal advice:

Access Pro Bono is for those that cannot afford a lawyer, legal advice in most areas of law is given through free clinics held throughout Vancouver. Appointments can be booked by calling 604-878-7400 or 1-877-762-6664, or online.

Clicklaw provides access to legal information and offers several options on solving legal problems. It is available online.

Dial-a-Law is a free service available in English, Chinese and Punjabi that offers general information on a variety of law topics. Publications can be accessed online. Dial-a-Law can be reached at 604-687-4680 or 1-800-565-5297.

Lawyer Referral gives the opportunity to discuss a case with a lawyer for up to 30 minutes for a small fee. The consultation will determine if there is a legal problem. The service operates by telephone and can be reached at 604-687-3221 or 1-800-663-1919. Clicklaw Provides access to legal information and offers several options on solving legal problems.

Legal Services Society is a non-profit organization that provides legal information regarding the legal system. For general inquiries, call 604-601-6000 or visit their website.

Multilingual Legal Website is a new online resource that provides legal information in a variety of languages, such as Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Korean, Persian, Punjabi, Spanish, and Vietnamese. Search publications on their website.

UBC Law Students' Legal Advice Program is a program where UBC law students provide advice under the supervision of a practicing lawyer throughout the Lower Mainland. Call 604-822-5791 to book an appointment or visit their website.

The Law Centre provides legal assistance to people in the Greater Victoria area who cannot afford a lawyer. Call 250-385-1221 for further assistance, or visit their website.

If you’re looking for consumer protection information:

Consumer Protection BC is a non-profit corporation established to strengthen consumer protection in BC. They enforce consumer protection laws (except regarding motor dealers, lawyers and some other professions) and encourage fair business practices. Complaint handling and resource guides are available on their website. They are also accessible at 1-888-564-9963.

Better Business Bureau (BBB) includes an accredited business and charity directory, consumer tips, alerts, and guides. Those in the Lower Mainland call 604-682-2711; the rest of BC call toll free at 1-888-803-1222. More information can be found online.

Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP) helps consumers resolve disputes with a manufacturer on vehicle defects or warranty through arbitration. All services are free. To see if you qualify, visit their website or call 1-800-207-0685.

Canadian Consumer Association gives information on consumer issues and provides tools and resources. Also offers a step- by-step roadmap on how to make a consumer complaint.

Mediate BC specializes in dispute resolution through mediation and offers mediation information and services, as well as a directory of available mediators.

Civil Resolution Tribunal (CRT) has an online Solution Explorer will diagnose your problem and give you legal information and self-help tools. If the dispute remains unresolved, a formal complaint process can be started. For small claims disputes of $5,000 and under, the use of the CRT for dispute resolution is mandatory. For more information, visit their website.

Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner for B.C. (OIPC) oversees B.C.’s access and privacy acts and works to protect the privacy rights of B.C. residents. They can investigate privacy and access complaints.

Office of the Ombudsperson investigates complaints about unfair administrative actions from provincial public authorities. Call them toll-free at 1-800-567-3247 or visit theirw website for more information.

If you have any questions, please contact VSA Consumer Services.

NOTE: This is to provide general information and is not intended to be legal advice.