Regulating Industry

How do I become a dealer?

Becoming a motor dealer

If you are interested in becoming a licensed motor dealer, please contact VSA Licensing at 604-575-7253 or by email for more information and/or to obtain an application. The VSA will determine if a dealer licence is needed.
To become a licensed dealer, certain conditions need to be met:
  • Police Information Checks for dealership principals and salespeople
  • Credit checks
  • A minimum of one licensed salesperson
  • All those in contact with consumers licensed as required
  • Payment of the annual licence fees

Who needs a dealer licence?

Any person, partnership, sole proprietor or company selling or leasing motor vehicles to retail consumers in British Columbia must be licensed as a motor dealer. Anyone selling more than five vehicles per year is automatically deemed to be a dealer under BC law. However, the sale of even one vehicle to a retail consumer as a business activity may require a licence.

A licensed dealership must also have at least one licensed salesperson. If you are a sole proprietor, you will need a motor dealer licence and a salesperson licence. In addition, every person working in retail vehicle sales in B.C. must be licensed. Motor dealers must ensure that all sales and management staff in contact with retail consumers have a valid salesperson licence.

Dealer licence fees

Fees are based on the type of vehicles sold and the number of vehicles sold or the number of demonstration licence plates (or D-plates) issued by ICBC.  Application fees and annual contributions to the Motor Dealer Customer Compensation Fund also apply. See the Motor Dealer Licence Fee Schedule here.

Dealer licensing legislation

The Motor Dealer Act and the  Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act  are very important.
Plain language explanations of their requirements can be found in:

Others include the federal Competition Act and B.C.’s Personal Information Protection Act.

Frequently asked questions - dealer

Still have a question?

Contact VSA Licensing at